Deadly meningococcal claims life of Ingham boy in North Queensland | Daily Telegraph
AN Ingham boy has died in Townsville Hospital after contracting.
The boy was initially being treated in Ingham Hospital before being rushed to Townsville in an ambulance last Wednesday.
The boy, whose name and age was not released, died on Friday afternoon.
“Due to patient confidentiality, we are unable to comment more specifically on this case,” Townsville Public Health Unit director Dr Steven Donohue said in a statement. He allayed fears of the disease spreading, saying it was difficult to catch.
“While the bacteria can be spread via droplets from the nose or throat during coughing and sneezing, close and prolonged contact with a person who has the bacteria in their nose or throat is usually needed for the bacteria to spread to others,” he said.
“As meningococcal bacteria cannot live long outside of the body, the infection cannot be picked up from water supplies, swimming pools, bed linen or pillows.”
SOURCE: The Daily Telegraph